Port-i386 archive

Re: userland falling over from pata writes on a 4.x box

 > From: buhrow%lothlorien.nfbcal.org@localhost (Brian Buhrow)
 > Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:05:08 -0800
 >
 >      Hello.  Is the motherboard really only capable of running the disks
 > at UDMA mode 2(33 Mbits/sec)?  That seems really slow! even for a board of
 > that era.  Perhaps the PATA cable went bad?

    Certainly this controller is only udma/33, and I don't think they
ever made piix4 go faster.

    I've dug up another p2b-s to compare against for giggles, and it
is also running its piix in legacy mode.  It seems likely that my
memory of doing otherwise is bogus.

    Hardware looks fine, and as much as I can permute, pretty similar
across different disks.  I can cope with disk failure if that's it,
but it doesn't look like it.

    While I could swear that, going far enough back (like netbsd-3, or
even 2), heavy I/O to PATA didn't make it feel like a PIO system, it's
definitely in the ball park now when you push it.  I haven't been able
to reproduce "minutes for ssh banner", but certainly painful.

    I'm just not going to put much effort into it.  Upgrading the
silicon is nickles and dimes.

    Thanks for the help!