Port-i386 archive

Re: Netbook support - status update?

2010/1/6 Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost>:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:49:30PM +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> For 7" device I find something with touchscreen (and an USB port for
>> cases when you *really* need a keyboard or other peripherial) more
>> appropriate. The opensource support for writing on touchscreens sucks,
>> though.
>
> Maybe http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/ would help as a way of
> getting text into a device with an unsatisfactory keyboard? (Not that
> I'm biased ;-) )

This is certainly interesting. If nothing else the approach is
different so it might appeal to some users who are dissatisfied with
the currently available input methods.

The Java demo is somewhat hard to use. The typing speed seems slow and
the thinner less likely paths are hard to navigate but it may be
caused by the small size of the demo applet.

A decent OCR takes less space and may offer comparable input speed and
comfort. The problem seems to be in getting decent OCR data that allow
distinguishing between the various blobs people tend to write. The
zoom approach may be cheap and fast-to-train entry-level option to get
you some viable text input at all.

Thanks

Michal