Port-i386 archive

Re: system call incompatibilities across releases

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:17:46PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:48:10PM +0000, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> > [...]
> > And if I had booted a new kernel first, I would have been unable to
> > log in remotely because of PAM, so I wouldn't have been able to run
> > etcupdate, a fortiori.   That's precisely the sort of gotcha I want to
> > avoid.   See what I mean?
>
> No, pam has nothing to do with the kernel. The correct upgrade sequence
> is:
> 1) install new kernel (with COMPAT_30 of course, if your build your
>   own kernel), reboot
> 2) extract .tgz sets (exept etc and xetc) for new binaries in /
> 3) extract etc.tgz and xetc.tgz in /tmp and run
>    postinstall -s /tmp -d / fix
>    (fix manually issues that postinstall couldn't sort out and run again,
>    until all is OK).

postinstall(8) will get you a working system, etcupdate(8) will help a
bit more with the upgrade (it runs postinstall(8) afterwards).

Also, note that these days you don't have to extract {x,}etc.tgz, you
can specify them as parameters to -s.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost