Port-i386 archive

Re: Panic with VirtualBox 2.1

iMil wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Frank van der Linden wrote:

You need to enable VT-X/AMD-V support. Otherwise, the dynamic code translation engine in Vbox seems to get terribly confused by the code patching that the NetBSD kernel does.

As my CPU is VT-capable, that's how I first configured VBox, and it leads to panic (same one as Darren Reed mentionned).

With that enabled, I was able to boot NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/amd64, and install them.

5_BETA ? as said before, NetBSD 4.0/4.0.1 are able to run with VBox and KVM, I'm only facing this issue with NetBSD 5.
Hm.. that reminds me. I am using 5.0_BETA, but with a local patch: the code patch functions use CR0.WP to disable write protection in order to be able to patch kernel code. Xen HVM does not like this, so I changed the patch code to use normal pmap protection changes. It could be that VBox also doesn't like the use of CR0.WP.

Perhaps that's why it works for me, but not for you. I'll see how it does without that change. I'll also get that change into the NetBSD tree.

- Frank