Port-i386 archive

Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 06:54:26PM +0000, David Holland wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 02:57:08PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
>  > The first component to be moved is POSIX semaphores. The GENERIC kernel no
>  > longer has the P1003_1B_SEMAPHORE option. If POSIX semaphores are used, the
>  > ksem kernel module will be automatically loaded. The same will happen for
>  > compat code and other facilities as time goes by.
>
> So, what do you do if you want a system entirely without POSIX
> semaphores? It looks as if you have to patch the source to avoid
> building the module.

rm the module or disable modules completely.

> This is not particularly important for POSIX semaphores, but there are
> other cases where it does matter to many people, and I think patching
> the source tree is not really the right answer.

If loading a module causes a security or other problem for the system then
we should not be shipping it, period. Individual modules can be moved or
deleted.

> We need also stronger guards against, and a stronger recovery
> mechanism for, accidental breakage of module compat without a
> corresponding version bump.

I think that's a cultural issue more than anything else. For example, I have
seen kernel version bumps when members were removed from structures. They
could just of easily been renamed to foo_unused.

Andrew