Port-i386 archive

Re: usb connected hard drives and i/o errors.

On 23-Aug-08, at 3:07 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations...
- are there USB SATA/IDE connectors that don't silently report errors?

I don't know much about USB to disk interfaces, but just the same I've tried to avoid even thinking about using USB, even USB-2.0, for mass storage devices (for example I really strongly question why Motorola used a USB interface internally on their satellite PVR instead of using a direct IDE/ATA interface (it runs VxWorks) -- doubly stupid when you consider it has to be capable of recording at least two HD 1080i streams while replaying another and simultaneously doing read/ write operations on a directory potentially full of many hundreds of files).

I'm starting to wonder if USB drives are time bombs and if I should have been doing something else...although I'd be similarly suspicious of firewire.

Do you have a firewire port on the machine you're using for recovery?

I also don't know a whole lot about NetBSD and firewire, but I have had a lot more satisfaction from using firewire external drives on my macbook with OSX and my experience seems to be echoed in the community too.

It seems to me that external firewire enclosures are a class above those that do USB alone, though I can't say for sure that this quality extends into the design of the firewire interface chips. Perhaps it's worth a try though.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>