Port-i386 archive

Re: setting up drives

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, matthew sporleder wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Al - image hosting services
> <azick%zickswebventures.com@localhost> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to manually set up 3 drives for use on an i386 system, so
> > that I could have root on one drive, the second drive swap and var, the
> > 3rd drive swap and usr.  It is much different than setting up on a Mac,
> > Cobalt, Amiga, or Sun. Is there documentation on how to do this? I googled
> > a bit, but I couldn't find anything that worked. Could someone give me a
> > quick how to on this with a PC? Right now, there is nothing on the drives,
> > because I ran if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0d bs=8k count=2.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think the installer has a good way to use
> multiple drives.  However, splitting up this way is trivial (although
> I don't think splitting / and /usr isn't a very good idea..).
>
> Check out The NetBSD Guide at:
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/index.html
>
> And especially look at Chapters 2 & 3
> And chapter 21.5
>
> See also:
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/misc/index.html#moving-usr
>

> Another option would be to do a "manual" install where you build your
> disk layout how you like and extract the install sets manually, but I
> can't find the doc for that.  Sorry.

Yes, I don't think that the installer will allow me to do this and a
manual install is probably the only option. I have done many manual
installs on Amiga and Mac. A few on Cobalt and Sun. I just can't find
documentation on how to setup the drives for i386. If I could figure out
that then I would have this system installed.

Please be sure to CC me because I am not on the i386 list.

Thanks,
Al