Port-i386 archive

Re: measuring x86 idle time?

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:11:46PM -0500, David Young wrote:
On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:59:58AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost (David Young) writes:

In NetBSD, is there a way to measure the amount of time that an x86 CPU
has spent executing no instructions since boot?  I.e., idle time spent
in hlt?  If I have to hack the kernel to do it, that's ok.

sysctl kern.cp_time ?

Thanks.  That appears to be in 1/hz units.  The numbers add to the uptime
and everything! :-)

Looks like my system is mainly idle, just as I suspected.

Are there virtual hosting services that will not bill me for the time
that my NetBSD/i386/amd64/xen system is idle?

I think the hypervisor will take care of that kind
of accounting anyway.

But really, the hard part could be convincing a
Xen-based VPS provider to even run !Linux domUen.
Also, VPSes aren't usually billed this way.

        Just to chime in a datapoint on a good priced NetBSD/xen provider
        http://www.panix.com/corp/v-colo/vplans.html#chart
        They will also let you boot single user and/or into a NetBSD
        install ISO image if you ever feel the need.
        (Yes I use them, no I don't get commission :)