Port-i386 archive

Re: x86 release builds are slow

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 06:26:39PM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> > You would be hard pressed to buy an off-the-shelf x86 system that cannot
> > compile NetBSD DOMU in under 3 minutes.  We're not talking about user
> > time here, we're talking about automated build time.  Who cares how long
> > that takes, really?  I care about boot speed, and about binary size.
> > Why should I care how long it takes to build 11 kernels on beefy build
> > hardware?
>
> Because if you're like me, you'd like more people to do full builds
> before checking in changes :)  If people don't have to wait an extra
> half an hour for 11 more kernels to build, they would hopefully be more
> likely to at least do a full test build... (ok.. maybe I'm being a bit
> optimistic here :-} )

This could probably be dealt in some other way. For example kernels
that are built on the autobuild clusters, but not on developer's build.

But I'm not sure a build with less kernels is appropriate testing.
For example, if we remove xen domU-only configurations from the release,
these configurations won't be tested ...