Port-i386 archive

Re: Kernel preemption

On Apr 27, 2008, at 6:58 PM, David Holland wrote:

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:21:05PM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
The below patch implments in-kernel preemption for the i386 port.

Is in-kernel preemption really worthwhile on multiprocessor machines?

Yes, I think so. There are long/slow code paths within the kernel.

Right, but is it better to handle these by preemption or by setting up
to yield the processor before/while locking?

I think it's better for the scheduler to handle this for us, rather than having to identify each of those and figure out where the right places to yield are.

-- thorpej