Port-i386 archive

Dual-boot with Windows - easy

Unlike the arcane and outdated instructions in the i386 FAQ [1], adding NetBSD to the Windows NT boot menu is very easy using grub4dos[2].

1) http://www.netbsd.org/ports/i386/faq.html#nt_boot
2) https://gna.org/projects/grub4dos/

Steps are:

1) get grub4dos

2) copy grldr from it to C:\grldr

3) add something like the following to C:\boot.ini
        C:\grldr="NetBSD"

4) get a suitable kernel and copy it to drive C: (in a subdir if you wish). In this example I use C:\netbsd. We don't support root on ntfs, so you may need to compile a kernel with custom "root at xxx type xxx". Alternatively, multiboot can probably help here

5) create a C:\menu.lst file containing something like:
default=0
timeout=5
terminal console
title NetBSD GENERIC
        kernel /netbsd/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
title NetBSD Install
        kernel --type=netbsd /netbsd/netbsd-INSTALL.gz

Reboot and away you go.

Note, you don't need a "root (hd0,0)" line, but you do need "--type-netbsd" if you have a non-MULTIBOOT kernel (such as an INSTALL kernel).

Because of how much easier this is than the method in [1] above, I'm tempted to just wipe out the whole entry in the FAQ and replace it by a tidied up version of the above.

Any dissent?

--
Stephen