Port-i386 archive

Hitachi 500G drive issue (NetBSD 4)

Hi All,

firstly, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I've recently added a RAID 5 array to my home server, which consists of 4*500gig Hitachi Deskstar SATA drives.

I initially had a problem building the parity on the raid, which would always fail at the same point, which I traced down to the same LBA bug which affects Seagate drives at the 130G mark.

This was solved by adding a pattern match for the drive to src/sys/dev/ata/wd.c to set the WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48.

Firstly, is this the correct place to fix it?

Secondly, should I submit this as a change/bug request? (I can't believe noone else has this issue with these drives??)

Any help much appreciated.

I'm building from source, currently tracking 4.0-STABLE, uname -a says:

(ian:/usr/src/sys/dev/ata)$ uname -a
NetBSD thejolly.demon.co.uk 4.0_STABLE NetBSD 4.0_STABLE (spiderpig) #0: Wed Mar 12 21:02:08 GMT 2008 root%thejolly.demon.co.uk@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/spiderpig i386

Cheers

Ian