Port-i386 archive

Re: Attaching piixide device before pdcsata device

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:08:05 +0200
Selvan <selvany%cat.co.za@localhost> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I have tried hard-wiring the kernel just as you've described.
> The problem with this is, we use various types of motherboards and on
> some of these motherboards, the primary drive is detected as wd1 if the
> kernel is hard-wired.
> Because of the variations in unit setup, the ideal solution for us is
> not to change the fstab file or the kernel configuration file but rather
> to have the on-board drives detected and mapped first before the drives
> on the Promise card.
>
> Regards,
>
> Selvan

If you need a method that works regardless of where the wd device
attaches, one solution is to create a raidframe raid0 setup with
"raidctl -A root" and one component of the mirror left as absent. Then
your root partition will always appear as /dev/raid0a.

-Tobias