Port-i386 archive

Re: Attaching piixide device before pdcsata device

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Selvan wrote:
> At startup, the system would boot-off the drive connected to the on-board
> SATA 0 port, as expected, but during the kernel execution this drive is
> mapped as wd4 (drives on the Promise card mapped as wd0, wd1, wd2 and wd3).
> The kernel execution stops at the point where the system is expecting to
> mount /dev/wd0a and /dev/wd0e, as set in the fstab file,  but these
> partitions don't exist on wd0 but /dev/wd4a and /dev/wd4e exist on wd4.

In your kernel configuration, in addition to any lines like "wd* at
foo? bar ?", add a line like "wd0 at pdcsata0 drive 0".  I am not
sure whether my syntax is exactly correct, but it should be something
similar.  This forces the drive attached at that particular location to
be "wd0", regardless of what other drives exist.

--apb (Alan Barrett)