Port-i386 archive

Re: Trouble with NetBSD 4.0 MP on a Asus CUR-DLS

On 14-Feb-08, at 6:58 PM, Pierre Pronchery wrote:

I have trouble booting NetBSD 4.0 MP on the Asus CUR-DLS mainboard,
actually extracted from a HP Netserver E800. It runs the latest BIOS I
could find on HP website.

As dumped below, when dealing with ACPI the system hits a breakpoint (if
I understand correctly, it comes from the system's ACPI, not the
kernel). If I tell the kernel to continue anyway, I get a page fault
shortly before starting init.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

That looks a little bit like the crashes (and maybe also the regular nightly hangs) I've been seeing with my Dell PE2650 of late. See PR# 38019.

It's just that maybe on your system whatever causes the hang instead immediately triggers the supervisor trap and you're dead in the water.

On the other hand it could also be completely unrelated.  :-)

Note that on my machine sometimes a supervisor trap is triggered by interactive usage attempts once the system has begun to get wedged (e.g. hitting <CTRL-T> on the console).

Today for the first time this strange message was on the console with a syslog timestamp some five hours after the hang began:

        sa_switch(1647.1): no upcall data.

(I have added "options DIAGNOSTIC" to my kernel -- I'm thinking I need to add "LOCKDEBUG" too.)

More often I don't get any kind of error or panic until after I try to reboot from within DDB, at which point it almost always does this:

        [halt sent]
        Stopped at      netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        popl    %ebp
        db{0}> trace
cpu_Debugger(c52a8600,0,ce9dff38,c033f390,c52a8660) at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4
        comintr(c52a8600,0,ce9d0010,30,10) at netbsd:comintr+0x6f0
        Xintr_ioapic_edge4() at netbsd:Xintr_ioapic_edge4+0x9c
        --- interrupt ---
        netbsd:cpu_switch+0xab:
        db{0}> reboot
        syncing disks... done
        unmounting file systems...panic: TLB IPI rendezvous failed (mask e)
        Stopped at      netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        popl    %ebp
        db{0}>

root file system type: ffs
kernel: supervisor trap page fault, code=0
Stopped at      netbsd:i686_mtrr_reload+0x14a:  popl    %ebx
db{0}> tr
i686_mtrr_reload(c2cc3800,1,0,c2cc3800,ccaf1000) at netbsd:i686_mtrr_reload+0x14
cpu_init(c2cc3800,0,0,0,0) at netbsd:cpu_init+0x62
cpu_hatch(c2cc3800,0,0,0,0) at netbsd:cpu_hatch+0xa3

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>