Port-i386 archive

Re: MATH_EMULATE

Pierre Dubuc <pldubuc%yahoo.ca@localhost> writes:
> A prime example of something that's broken is the sqrt() (or is
> fsqrt()?) function, which is used in programs such as ping(8)...

Ah! Now this was *not* supposed to be implemented in the first place.

The way that we handled things like sqrt was by having two math
libraries, with the one that uses the x87 used only on machines with
x87 instructions.

/etc/ld.so.conf has the following line:

  libm.so.0       machdep.fpu_present     1:libm387.so.0,libm.so.0

which is supposed to handle this. Perhaps machdep.fpu_present isn't
working correctly, or maybe the ld.so.conf mechanism is failing? Does
your machine have the ld.so.conf line set that way? If not, we can
figure out why it wasn't installed, but can you see if things start
working if you put it in?

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost