Re: Random hangs

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Christer O. Andersson wrote:

> Congratulations! Now we are at least two known hp620 users :)

Alright! That means I now constitute a full 1/2 of the user base! :)

> This has never happened to me. What version of hpcboot are you
> using? It is clearly visible in the task bar buttons, mine says
> "HPCBOOT Build 12". I have to admit I have used another version
> more that identifies itself as build 13, but I think it is only
> a debug version of build 12. It is compiled with a newer SDK so if
> you are on CE 2.0, you are stuck with build 12. Build 12 is what
> you get with 3.0 though, so it should be good.

This might be an issue. I have HPCBOOT Build 9, and attempting to load any
of the newer HPCBOOT files (all named HPCBOOT-sh3.exe on ftp.netbsd.org it
looks like) results in an "Application performed an illegal error." Is
there somewhere else I should be getting HPCBOOT from? Can you try sending
me your HPCBOOT? I am on CE 2.0 since any attempts to find the CE 2.11
upgrade fail miserably, so if you know of one laying around somewhere let
me know! :)

> > If I check "Save To Log" then everything is happy and it boots... but so
> > far 50% of the time it gets to "Updating motd" and hangs there... no
> > keyboard response, no nothing... it just stays frozen there until I reset
> > the machine. Does anyone know what this is?
>
> What version of NetBSD are you using? I haven't seen that behaviour
> in the 3.0 branch anyway.

I'm using 3.0, but I'm using HPCBOOT Build 9 which apparently is the
issue. Like I said though, I can't get any newer HPCBOOT running, so any
help there would be great! :)

> Yeah, I have never successfully returned to the shell after exitting
> X. I think you can ssh into the 620 and kill the Xserver though.
> Or just reboot from an xterm. Maybe it needs a swap area. It is
> possible to use nfs swap.

Ok good, then it's not just me ;) Does sshd run by default?

I'll keep trying with HPCBOOT and see if that gets me anywhere.

Thanks again! :) I still get a kick out of seeing X start up on my HPC...
my buddy at work (another big unix geek) can't stop coming back to the lab
to check out "the ugly black brick running X" ;)

Thanks again! Let me know if my ugly black brick can help with any testing
or something.

Marc