Re: Random hangs

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:49:17AM -0500, jazzman%exdomain.org@localhost wrote:
> I finally got my hp620 to run NetBSD (with Xwindows!)

Congratulations! Now we are at least two known hp620 users :)

> The first is that when booting, if I don't check "Save to log" in
> hpcboot.exe it starts booting and just stops... never actually boots the
> kernel, and I can keep using windows ce. It's as if hpcboot gets stuck
> waiting for something and just goes off into never never land.

This has never happened to me. What version of hpcboot are you
using? It is clearly visible in the task bar buttons, mine says
"HPCBOOT Build 12". I have to admit I have used another version
more that identifies itself as build 13, but I think it is only
a debug version of build 12. It is compiled with a newer SDK so if
you are on CE 2.0, you are stuck with build 12. Build 12 is what
you get with 3.0 though, so it should be good.

One thing that strikes me is that if you abort the boot a couple
of times, hpcboot will fail. While testing this now, I get a clearly
visible dialog box that informs me that memory can't be allocated.
I beleive if you abort, memory won't be freed, eventually leading
to this. Maybe you don't get the dialog box for some reason? Nah,
I don't believe that really.

> If I check "Save To Log" then everything is happy and it boots... but so
> far 50% of the time it gets to "Updating motd" and hangs there... no
> keyboard response, no nothing... it just stays frozen there until I reset
> the machine. Does anyone know what this is?

What version of NetBSD are you using? I haven't seen that behaviour
in the 3.0 branch anyway.

> The only other issue I ran into is that when exiting Xwindows the system
> reported an I/O error and stopped accepting input from the keyboard.

Yeah, I have never successfully returned to the shell after exitting
X. I think you can ssh into the 620 and kill the Xserver though.
Or just reboot from an xterm. Maybe it needs a swap area. It is
possible to use nfs swap.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken