Jed key bindings

I just installed Torsten's binary of jed. If I use it console mode or in an xterm, the key bindings (e.g. alt-%) don't work. But if I ssh to the jornada using putty, everything works fine.

It's not a problem with the build because I have the same problem if I ssh from the jornada to another machine and use jed from there.

What do I need to do get the correct key bindings on the jornada? Anyone know? Standard emacs (via ssh; I didn't compile it :) works as expected. It's just jed that acts strangely.

Mike