Re: Jornada 680 asks for

Michael Wileman <jwileman <at> panix.com> writes:

> Just a quick note here. Nikos, I replaced just the kernel file and
> hpcboot.exe with the files you sent me, and it works! I'm getting some
> errors when it boots, but I can log in fine, and even X works. No more
> time to work on it now, but thanks. I'll report more when I have
> investigated a little further. Your version of hpcboot was definitely
> different than the one I downloaded from netbsd.org. It had many more
> options for regional variations.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:

> > On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 07:17:47PM -0400, Michael Wileman wrote:
> >> It's a Sandisk CF card. I've tried in the CF slot and in a PCMCIA
> >> adapter.
> >
> > Never had one of those. I'll check with some gadgeteers at the office
> > for one and get back to you. The fact that WinCE reads it just fine
> > makes me believe that your cf card is o.k. for use with the 680.
> >
> > FWIW I have a:
> >
> > wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <LEXAR ATA FLASH>
> > wd0: drive supports 4-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
> > wd0: 983 MB, 1999 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2014992 sectors
> > wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4
> >
> > Now check this out:
> >
> > root <at> nada:~# fdisk wd0
> > Disk: /dev/rwd0c
> > NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
> > cylinders: 1999, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)
> > total sectors: 2014992
> >
> > BIOS disk geometry:
> > cylinders: 125, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
> > total sectors: 2014992
> >
> > Partition table:
> > 0: Primary 'big' DOS, 16-bit FAT (> 32MB) (sysid 6)
> >    start 63, size 2013921 (983 MB, Cyls 0-125/93/1), Active
> > 1: <UNUSED>
> > 2: <UNUSED>
> > 3: <UNUSED>
> > root <at> nada:~#
> >
> > As far as hpcboot is concerned, there are two files in
> > .../hpcsh/installation: hpcboot-sh3.exe and hpcboot-sh4.exe. You should
> > be using hpcboot-sh3.exe. I'm sending you the contents of my
> > known-to-work fat partition off list. Could you try them out and see
> > if you can boot with those in your fat partition?
> >
> >> What do I need to do to capture the dmesg if the machine won't boot
> >> into netbsd?
> >
> > The only way I can think of is hooking your Jornada to a pc through the
> > serial cable that came with your 'nada, set the console to 'serial' in
> > hpcboot under the 'option' screen, and use some serial line
> > communication prog on the pc side (e.g. cu, kermit, tip, etc.) to
> > capture the Jornada's output.
> >
> > \n\n

Hi Mike & Nikos

I had the same problem as mike's

my system spec :
- Jornada 680
- CF Sandisk --> !!
- NetBSD 2.0.2
- I'm using GENERIC kernel from
http://pub.allbsd.org/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/hpcsh/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC.tgz

Error messages:
couldn't find the root device

I tried to reboot the system & got into the ddb console,
only until I managed to print out the dmesg then
I found out there's no wd0 detected on the system.
seemed like the GENERIC couldn't detect my Sandisk CF ( pls CMIIW ! )

My Question to nikos:
did you create a custom kernel or did you just use a GENERIC  ?
if say, you've created a custom kernel, do you mind sharing with us
what other configs that need to be put to get the kernel
working & detects the wd0 (ur kernel config would be fine)

as far as I know, I don't think this error was caused
by hpcboot.exe, coz I could boot the kernel, both using the
CF dos partition (\Storage2\netbsd) & CF BSD partition (/netbsd)
which means the hpcboot.exe could load the kernel but somehow
the kernel couldn't detect my CF, that's why the "couldnt find root
device" message was appeared

rgds
TI