Problems building pkg_install

I am slowly getting my Jornada 680 running :)

>From what I have read so far, there is no way to cross-compile hpcsh
packages on an x86 box using the pkgsrc tools, and that what I have to
do is compile them on the 680.

So I now have NetBSD/hpcsh 2.0 installed and have a wifi card running
so that I can NFS mount a /usr/pkgsrc/ directory from my x86 box and
build packages on the NFS mount (rather than trying to install pksrc
on the 680 and build on a CompactFlash card). This is where the fun
begins...

If I try to make a package, I get the following error:

    rogue# make fetch
    ===> Error: The package tools installed on this system are out of date.
    ===> The installed package tools are dated 2004/01/15 and you must update
    ===> them to at least 2005/02/04 using the following command:
    ===>
    ===>    cd /nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install && /usr/bin/make clean
&& /usr/bin/make install
    *** Error code 1

So I then follow the instructions but the configure process for
pkg_install breaks during the "make install" process with the
following error:

    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating Makefile
    config.status: creating nbcompat/config.h
    /usr/bin/awk -f nbcompat.awk nbcompat/config.h > nbcompat/nbconfig.h
    cc -DDEF_UMASK=0022
-I/nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/libnbcompat -I. -I.  -O
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -c glob.c
    gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
    Please submit a full bug report.
    See <URL:http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/send-pr.html> for instructions.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    make: stopped in /nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/libnbcompat
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    make: stopped in /nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
    ===>
    ===> There was an error during the ``configure'' phase.
    ===> Please investigate the following for more information:
    ===>      * config.log
    ===>      * /nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/.work.log
    ===>
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    make: stopped in /nfs/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install

I have checked the config.log and the .work.log file; neither have
obvious errors. The closest I can come to an issue is that there seems
to be problems getting the architecture:

    /bin/arch              = unknown
    /usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
    /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
    hostinfo               = unknown
    /bin/machine           = unknown
    /usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
    /bin/universe          = unknown

Has anyone seen this problem before and can tell me how to get the
build working? Or at least point me in the direction of where to start
looking? Am I at least heading in the right direction by building the
packages via NFS?

Thanks
Graeme