Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Workpad Z50 unable to detect/use Microdrive ?

> On Apr 27, 2015, at 3:28 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Warner Losh <imp%bsdimp.com@localhost> wrote:
>> I’ve had issues with micro drives on these embedded platforms not having
>> enough power to work right. Never used the model you are using, though,
>> so I don’t know if that’s what’s going south or not. While the spec says they
>> should work, the early hand held devices, like the one you have, were
>> notoriously underpowered, leading to many weird things when you tried
>> to put generic hardware in.
>
> I found out that the white label Hitachi Microdrives are "tru IDE"
> drives, and won't work as memory devices.  A blue label drive is
> required to use it in the Z50.  I was unable to get the white label
> microdrives to work in my Thinkpad X21 either.  They work fine in my
> Thinkpad T60p's Advanced Dock, evidently because the dock supports it.
> Cheapest 6GB blue label Drive I found was $40 so I doubt I will bother
> with it.
>
> I will try to source a PCMCIA to CF adapter & see if that works.
> Don't know if it will tho.  Tru IDE drives use DMA, which I doubt the
> Z50 has the ability to do, PCMCIA or CF.

No PCMICA card can do DMA. Cardbus can, but there’s no DMA defined
in the PCMICA “r2” standard that defines 16-bit PC Cards. The CF form
factor in the Z50 is just the PC Card form, not the true IDE form. So you
are out of luck if you want a DMA storage option on this card.

>> I just picked up a second one.  I was hoping it had the 32MB RAM
> upgrade because it came with the Dock & Serial Cable, but it didn't.
> Oh well.  Spare parts.  Oh course, both of the adapters I have were
> part of the recall, which I doubt they would honor anymore……..

What recall was that?

Warner