Port-hpcmips archive

Re: pcmcia usb card?

Ignoring:

> On 3/18/06, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >/ Does anyone know of a pcmcia usb card that can be used with a/
> >/ Mobilepro? I'm considering getting a Mobilepro 780 and unlike my 880,/
> >/ it does not have USB. Most of the USB cards I find are cardbus so that/
> >/ won't work./
> >
> >/ Thanks./
> >
> >/ Andy/
> >
> I had been searching for one for a while for a 16-bit PCMCIA USB
> adapter for my MobilePro 780, but it seems like, although possible,
> nobody really got around to making them because of some chipset issue.
>  I can't be certain that are are *no* non-cardbus PCMCIA USB adapters,
> but I haven't heard of any.  If you find one, please tell me the
> brand/model and where you found it.
>
> -Elijah
> Yes, the Ratoc CFU1U is a CF card (8-bit) and uses the slhci driver
> (SL811HS chip).  The in tree driver doesn't work, but I have an updated
> version that does that I have been working on occasionally for a few years
> :/.  However, if you want USB you would be much better off getting a
> system with ohci (even if you already had one without it) since the chip
> is slow and has some bugs (such as not working with low speed devices
> connected to a hub).  It does not support isochronous transfers, so no
> audio.  The Ratoc card is expensive, too.  Cypress has a newer chip that
> would potentially be better, but the errata includes some serious issues.
>
> Matthew Orgass
> darkstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Some time ago I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300315625021
for the same reason.
It fit in my nec mobilepro 780 (so I think that it can work with it, as
explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardbus#CardBus about the
notch), but the OS (netbsd 3.1) does not react when I insert it or some
USB device in the adapter (no dmesg variations).
I would like to know for sure (if someone know):
-is it possible to use a cardbus with the mobilepro?
-is it possible to use it with netbsd and, if yes, in which release
where the drivers introduced?

Thank you very much
Giacomo

--
/_\ The ASCII                   Per comunicare in modo riservato:
\_/ Ribbon Campaign         gpg --keyserver  pool.sks-keyservers.net \