Port-hpcmips archive

configuring wifi on the z50 + BSD

Just thought i'd post this here in one central place.  I just got a D-Link 650 and got it working on my z50 running NetBSD 4.0.

I had heard it is just "plug it in and it works"... well not quite... I needed to configure a few things... my home network is a mixed 802.11b/g router (WRT 54g) with a WEP password...  Once I plugged in the card, BSD's console showed that it connected it as "wi0"

(all as root)
To list the access points (make sure it finds the right one "monkey")

wiconfig wi0 -D

Then, tell it to set this up with the right ssid and password (0xdeadc0ffee)

ifconfig wi0 ssid monkey nwkey 0xdeadc0ffee up

then make sure there's a route to the host (the gateway router is configured as 192.168.1.1)

route add 192.168.1.1

then I added a few nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver aa.bb.cc.dd
nameserver ee.ff.gg.hh

Now, i can ping google.com, which is fun to do for those of you haven't done it before.

the power button turns off the wifi card, which is nice, (the backlight and LCD remain on for me. fun)

...now to find a good web browser for the platform... thoughts?

-s

--
Scott Lawrence
yorgle%gmail.com@localhost