Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Mobile Pro 880 Successes with 4.0

jscottkasten%yahoo.com@localhost wrote:
Awesome...more toys...  :-)

Glad to see someone is working with the latest pkgsrc.  I'm kind of waiting for
5.0 to come out and make a clean sweep of things.

I seem to recall hearing that 5.0 is out; though I may be mistaken. :P

http://www.netbsd.org/changes/changes-5.0.html

My own choice of window manager is WindowMaker.  I typically have about 3 or 4
xterms open, and about 5 doc apps going (clock, weather, audio mixer, etc).  I
do have swap enabled on the CF.  There's lots of little things that add up to
make a big difference in performance such as turning off atime on the mount,
softdeps, and so forth.

I never delved too much into that, but I might pull it out again and see if I can improve performance, just for the heck of it. I was largely deterred from trying to dig too much deeper by the fact that 32Mb would always still result in swapping on CF, and I didn't have a proper wireless card to make the machine useful for my purpose - just an old 2Mbit Wavelan (no WEP) which will only work when the APs I have are set to only allow connections at that speed.

I do see some significant lag when starting some apps, but when things settle
down, it generally runs ok.

I'm curious how you do your builds.  I've had good luck using GXEMUL on some beastly
desktop to brute force "native" builds for everything.

I tried that approach, actually. I ran into some very odd behavior where awk was returning incorrect values during the pkgsrc build process (no error from awk directly, just evaluating incorrectly resulting in the make to bust). I spent probably a week trying to track that problem down and eventually gave up. I tried it with both pmax (per the suggestion of the gxemul develper - great guy, very helpful!) and the hpcmips ports (briefly). How'd you go about gxemul - which port, etc.?

I ended up building natively on the MobilePro 780. I used an NFS mounted root and swap on my file server. It took a while, but I was in no rush - and I didn't have to worry about problems cropping up. :P

This MP 780 is a great device; I'm very tempted to get one of the StrongARM MP 900s - host and client USB, twice the RAM, and a faster processor, would make the device very useful, I think. Throw in wifi and ethernet cards and you've got a nice little pentesting/travel admin machine.

- Ben