Port-hp300 archive

Re: Console on 9000/425t with A1659A graphics

(sorry for a late response)

> I have a 9000/425t that included A1659A graphics in the SGC slot, and I only seem to be able to use serial console with NetBSD 8.0.

Wow.  Currently SGC sti(4) is tested only on 425e, and
sti(4) on 425t is one of todo list items.
(I have 425t but it has only DIO topcat)

> Booting the netbsd-GENERIC kernel via NFS, and using serial console, I see the sti(4) driver come up and recognize the 1280x1024@8bpp framebuffer attached via SGC, and it looks like wscons wants to use it (or is using it), but whenever I've tried to boot using local console I get nothing.

Could you post full dmesg on the serial console?
How did you setup to get screen console?
In that case which console is used on bootloader?

There is a console detection code in sys/arch/hp300/hp300/audoconf.c:
 https://nxr.netbsd.org/diff/src/sys/arch/hp300/hp300/autoconf.c?r2=%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Farch%2Fhp300%2Fhp300%2Fautoconf.c%401.105&r1=%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Farch%2Fhp300%2Fhp300%2Fautoconf.c%401.104
 https://nxr.netbsd.org/diff/src/sys/arch/hp300/dev/sti_sgc.c?r2=%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Farch%2Fhp300%2Fdev%2Fsti_sgc.c%401.2&r1=%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Farch%2Fhp300%2Fdev%2Fsti_sgc.c%401.1
but maybe there is some quirk on sgc sti(4) on 425t.

> Any ideas? I'd love to actually get X11 up on this system. It does work fine with HP-UX 9.10 after all. ;)

One problem to get Xorg server is there is no information to
control color palette of sti(4) framebuffer.  I tried to write
RAMDAC registers directly but it looked some more sti(4) specific
control was required.

Note drawing framebuffer against sti(4) on 425e using mlterm-fb worked:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503007544420233217
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503008051658366979
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503009014855127041

---