Port-hp300 archive

NetBSD booth ath Open Source Conference 2014 Shimane

Jun Ebihara wrote on port-arm@:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2014/08/22/msg002586.html

> I've updated 2014-08-23-netbsd-raspi.img.gz for RPI.
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jun/raspberry-pi/2014-08-23-earmhf/2014-08-23-netbsd-raspi.img.gz
 :
> For OpenSourceConference 2014 Shimane NetBSD booth
> (https://www.facebook.com/events/1475184532697066/)
> demonstration use, I've updated raspberry-pi image.

As Ebihara-san announced, the Japan NetBSD Users' Group held
a NetBSD booth at the Open Source Conference 2014 Shimane on August 23:
http://www.ospn.jp/osc2014-shimane/

OSC Shimane is smaller conference (11 booths and 15 seminars)
than the previous OSC Kansai@Kyoto, but
we exhibited NetBSD machines on our booth:

- Raspberry Pi with LCD display (handmade by jun@) via HDMI
- HP 9000/425e (including new arcofi(4) audio driver demo)
- Sony NWS-5000 (and NetBSD/i386 as a serial console)
- Sharp NetWalker
- XM6i (X680x0 emulator) running NetBSD/x68k and Human68k on Windows
- Sun Java Station (didn't boot due to server setting problem though)
etc.

I'd like to report it with pictures again.

Starting booth exhibision:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502998712239407104/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502999013939875841/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502999292257116160/photo/1

More booth pictures:
 http://twitpic.com/ealsl9
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503024404708605952/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503055037833023488/photo/1

 Some visitors said "NetBSD has the most chaos booth"

Raspberry Pi running the new 2014-08-23-netbsd-raspi.img image:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503006632108752896/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503006992131035136/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503007109693190144/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503046460204544000/photo/1

 The typical problem of the Raspberry Pi on the booth is
 it's "too small" to appeal.  Many visitors asked about
 Ebihara-san's LCD (connected to the RPi via HDMI) first,
 then we explained it was drived by the RPi running NetBSD
 and Twitter client.

 Ebihara-san's LCD backpanel and PCB:
  https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503061764267724800/photo/1

 The typical our explanation is:
 "You can also use your >40" LCD TV in your living room
  for your RPi to demonstrate your Twitter timeline by mikutter."

In this time Sony's new thin HDMI cable is much useful at the booth:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503012385020329984/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503012855122128896/photo/1

 Downsizing is also important for Ebihara-san to participate
 all OSC in Japan..
 http://www.ospn.jp/#past

Other RPi cases (not running due to space):
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503030640774623232/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503030894177701889/photo/1

 It's better to show RPi silk symbolmark on the PCB without cover?

HP9000/425e, contributed by Miod Vallat (OpenBSD/hp300 maintainer):
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502991497038295041/photo/1

 This HP425e was also demonstrated at OSunC 2014 Kagawa:
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-advocacy/2014/04/20/msg000643.html

 but in this time it also demonstrated tunes as BGM with
 new arcofi(4) audio driver ported OpenBSD/hp300:
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/08/24/msg058007.html

Starting HP9000/425e:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502991580001611777/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502998046049697793/photo/1

Typical bootup and "login:" prompt:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/502998435801219072/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503007544420233217/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503007824624893952/photo/1

  This HP9000/425e also had 32GB SSD (via STAT-IDE and IDE-SCSI adaptors).

Starting mlterm-fb + mikutter + mikutterm, as LUNA-II at OSC Kyoto:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503008051658366979/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503008453669822466/photo/1
 http://p.twipple.jp/6ogyX
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503009014855127041/photo/1

 The framebuffer on HP425e supported 256 colors, but currently
 there is no info how we can handle color palette using on-board
 Bt458 RAMDAC chip so demonstrated with "--colors=false" option.

Twitter timeline with userstream on yet another 1990's m68k machine:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503027720737943552/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503009493597171712/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503011173189447680/photo/1

 The conversion of color graphics (twitter icons and attached pic)
 into monochrome is handled by img2sixel utility in libsixel package:
  https://github.com/saitoha/libsixel
  https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503032792297390080/photo/1

 This libsixel's mono conversion have been improved and
 updated after this OSC Shimane per my reports:
  https://twitter.com/kefir_/status/503084347226734592

https://github.com/saitoha/libsixel/commit/767480e02cd2a8f7c03aa73d4b2694a67507948e

 This is yet another good example of "event driven developments" :-)

HP425e playing tunes (sorry for bad video audio settings):
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kbDYA2EYI
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503010566982475777/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503038233362460672/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/503017958931570688/photo/1
 http://p.twipple.jp/8YTJ7

 This "mikutter's drum'n bass" tune is composed by @polamjag
  https://soundcloud.com/polamjag/mikutter-drumnbass
 and it was converted to 8kHz mono u-law format, as 90's SPARC machines.