NetBSD-Advocacy archive

HP9000/425e support at Open Source unConference 2014 Kagawa

Hi,

Recently Miod Vallat kindly sent his HP9000/425e to me after
OpenBSD/hp300 EOL, and then I've been working on 425e device support
of NetBSD/hp300.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/04/17/msg054103.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/04/19/msg054161.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/04/19/msg054162.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/04/20/msg054186.html

Last weekend I also exhibited the 425e on the NetBSD booth at
Open Source unConference (small conference) 2014 Kagawa.
 http://www.ospn.jp/link/osunc2014kagawa
There were also Raspberry Pi and Sharp NetWalker running NetBSD/evbarm.

I'd like to show pictures of these NetBSD machines for advocacy :-)

The conference room:
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121150205348a9ec64095
 https://twitter.com/mokulab/status/454862728021028864/photo/1

 There were various (~11) booth by open source groups and individuals.

NetBSD booth:
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121223415348b1bdd1911
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454858056841457664/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454847221817569280/photo/1

Unpacking HP9000/425e:
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121320005348bef08b14f

Startup of Boot ROM monitor:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454844227931758592/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454844561630564352/photo/1

Bootloader loading a kernel:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454844727439790080/photo/1

 Note sti(4) support was added the day before the conference:
 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2014/04/13/msg054013.html

Booting NetBSD/hp300:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454845230651437056/photo/1

Login:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454846091410685952/photo/1

Self dmesg:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454846338924949504/photo/1

The "compact" 425e:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454846830027624448/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454845563666567168/photo/1

apollo "Series 400" badge:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454859564316246017/photo/1

People taking 425e pictures:
 https://twitter.com/oshimyja/status/454846670178508800/photo/1

Presentation by Ebihara-san (jun@):
 https://twitter.com/okano_t/status/454841898075557888/photo/1

Sharp Netwalker running NetBSD/evbarm and "Xnp2" PC-9801 emulator:
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121335215348c289a74e1

RPi running NetBSD/evbarm and Twitter client "mikutter":
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121355095348c72dd3cd6

RPi running "XM6i" Sharp X680x0 emulator:
 http://movapic.com/pic/201404121408115348ca3b59f2f

 Note it just says "Error occurs. Please reset." message..
 (xm6i is still unstable on arm, while it works fine on x86)

HP9000/425e starting "mlterm-fb":
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454849379904389121/photo/1
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454849715125772288/photo/1

 mlterm is a terminal emulator for X11 and mlterm-fb also supports
 NetBSD's wscons based framebuffer, including hp300 sti(4) and
 other m68k machines like luna68k and x68k.

 mmap support for sti(4) framebuffer is not committed yet because
 it worked with very ugly hacks implemented for the conference.
 Furthermore, 256 color mode had some trouble (or too late to
 choose pseudo colors?) so demonstrated with --colors=false settings.

HP9000/425e starting "tw" ruby-based Twitter client on mlterm-fb:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454849950631731200/photo/1

So hard to create https connections:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454856885879848961/photo/1

 https timeout for streaming connection is "only" five seconds ;-(

Twitter Timeline with user icon on HP9000/425e:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454864944454848514/photo/1

It can also show attached pictures!:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454870755151314944/photo/1

 This is modified version of "tw" which has Sixel Graphic support
 by Araki Ken, an author of mlterm:
 https://bitbucket.org/arakiken/tw/src

"Tw" on HP9000/425e and "mikutter" on Pentium-M Let's Note:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454869984909344770/photo/1

Back panel of HP9000/425e:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454871727365840896/photo/1

 425e has a modern VGA connector so I don't have to prepare
 a Sync-on-Green CRT or VGA converter 8-)

P.S. NetBSD sticker for your "Super-key" by kano@:
 https://twitter.com/tsutsuii/status/454878862556426240/photo/1

More pictures are available on Togetter page (in Japanese):
 http://togetter.com/li/654135?page=2

On NetBSD, m68k machines are still alive :-)

Many thanks to Miod, and also Ebihara-san who holds NetBSD booth
on *all* Open Source Conference in Japan:
 http://www.slideshare.net/junebihara18/osc100th-asiabsdcon

---
Izumi Tsutsui