Re: Firewire/USB Card for Qube 2

On the Firewire side of this, I installed a FW400 card based on a Lucent Technologies FW322/323 chipset in my Qube 2 in place of the Gateway PCI modem. I recompiled the kernel, using the instructions at:

http://www.teraqube.co.uk/software/#s4.2

and enabling the IEEE1394 mass deivce and ipfw support in the kernel compile config (in ../compile/MYCONFIG, or whatever you called your Kernel). It works flawlessly for me with Mass Storage, and I've successfully read and written on a Firewire 400 attached laptop drive with a FAT32 file system. I had to manually mount it and I think the devices come up as 'sd0', 'sd1' etc. (the SCSI device family in /dev, same as USB mass storage).

The dump from my dmesg looks like this:

fwohci0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: Lucent Technologies FW322/323 IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev. 0x04)
fwohci0: interrupting at irq 9
fwohci0: OHCI version 1.0 (ROM=1)
fwohci0: No. of Isochronous channels is 8.
fwohci0: EUI64 00:60:1d:00:00:00:1d:77
fwohci0: Phy 1394a available S400, 3 ports.
fwohci0: Link S400, max_rec 2048 bytes.
ieee1394if0 at fwohci0: IEEE1394 bus
fwip0 at ieee1394if0: IP over IEEE1394
fwohci0: Initiate bus reset

If it helps you any I can provide a pre-compiled version of my kernel (it has no USB support!!) or a copy of my config file for the compile.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>