Port-arm archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: sysupgrade can't reach nycdn.netbsd.org



>         inet6 fe80::c274:2bff:fefe:6963%rge0/64 flags 0 scopeid 0x1
>         inet6 fdc7:8cef:197:4:a39d:5a7c:6b2a:cdeb/64 flags
> 0x40<AUTOCONF>

> I still haven't get my head wrapped around IPv6 addressing (I'm an
> old man).  Should I have a 3rd IPv6 address that starts with a 2?

Most briefly, "yes".  At a little more length, and with the caveat that
there are significant fractions of IPv6 I do not yet understand, so I
may be wrong in whole or in part:

You should have a globally routed v6 address, which probably will start
with 2 (I'm not sure whether all currently allocated globally routed v6
space is in 2000::/4 or not).  Whether it's in addition to the two
above or replacing the fc00::/7 address is debatable.

fc00::/7 is "reserved for unique local unicast use [RFC4193]" according
to ARIN; 4193 says of such addresses

	They are not expected to be routable on the global Internet.
	They are routable inside of a more limited area such as a site.
	They may also be routed between a limited set of sites.

This sounds to me like a complicated way of saying "site-local".

fe80::/10 is link-local unicast; RFC4291 describes them.  They too are
not globally routable.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index