pkgin needs root permission on arm64?

I just stumbled on something that surprised me. On amd64 I can do
'pkgin list' or 'pkgin search' as my ordinary user, but on OrangePi 5+
it requires root permission, and the error message is not very helpful.
Is there something I'm not understanding?

netop$ uname -a
NetBSD netop 10.0_STABLE NetBSD 10.0_STABLE (GENERIC64) #0: Wed Jul  3
19:16:46 UTC 2024
mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/evbarm/compile/GENERIC64
evbarm
netop$ pkgin search desktop
pkgin: failed to begin immediate transaction
netop$ doas pkgin search desktop
3ddesktop-0.2.9nb16  3D Virtual Desktop Switcher
[...]

--
Ted Spradley <tsprad%talent-free-studios.com@localhost>