Re: NetBSD on OrangePi 5 (RK3588)

On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:58:44 +0200
Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Someone on Mastodon linked me to https://github.com/edk2-porting/edk2-rk3588, which is a Tianocore EDK2 UEFI environment for the Orange Pi 5 and other RK3588 devices. I managed to get this plus a NetBSD arm64 generic image onto an SD card and boot from it.
>
> However, with root on SD, the SD card is not properly initialized. The error message is
>
> SDHC (RKCPFE2C) at acpi0 not configured
>
> With the root filesystem on a USB storage device, the kernel panics when accessing the root device (https://photos.app.goo.gl/VK2ddfATYdU41ZMe7).
>
> Any ideas? This is with -current as of a few days ago.

Hi Benny!

I had success booting the OPi5+ to single-user in ACPI mode with the
0.9.1 firmware from that URL flashed to SPI and NetBSD rootfs on a USB
stick. You might also have better luck with newer firmware.

Both USB and Ethernet seem to work from single-user mode which
makes further hacking much easier.

Something does seem to be wrong with at least the serial port code in
ACPI mode -- multiuser boot gets stuck at "Setting tty flags" and getty
won't show a login prompt. After patching out ttyflags I can SSH into
the board and am currently checking out src from anoncvs.

I intend to work on improved support for rk3588 both in ACPI and device
tree mode as time permits.

Kind regards,
-Tobias