Re: Raspberry Pi zero 2 w updates

On Tue, 2023-08-29 at 21:47 +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
> Dave Tyson <dtyson%anduin.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> > Can someone take a look at PR kern/57498 which includes patches and
> > links to resources to provide a native dtb for the rpi02w and also
> > update the rpi firmware so it will boot up without having to
> > manually
> > pull down new versions of the boot code
> >
> > Note although the wifi chip is now visible the rpi02w uses the
> > synatics syn43436 and this needs different firmware. This is
> > available
> > on some linux distros and does get the wifi working, but it's a bit
> > flaky and will need some work on the bwfm driver.
>
> We don't usually modify the device tree files under
> sys/external/gpl2/dts,
> they are imported as a whole from a known Linux revision.
>
> Any patches or modified ones go in sys/arch/arm/dts.
>
> Trying to mix dts files from different revisions is asking for
> trouble
> as well.

Well maybe it's time for a recent snapshot of all the dts files to be
imported into current as the rpi02w has been out for a while and the
current hack to get it working is to use a copy of the rpi3 dtb :-(

The in-tree rpi firmware files are also old and fail to boot the
rpi02w. Current builds fail to include the 'x' firmware variants needed
to use the rpi camera. This means users have to mess around pulling
extra firmware off the web which is sub-optimal...

I know testing newly imported dts files is a pain, but I do have a
reasonable selection of arm based SOC's and am happy to build/test
current images. It would be nice if this work could be done and then
pulled up in time for NetBSD 10.0

Dave