Re: RPI02W wifi driver?

On Fri, 2023-05-05 at 11:35 +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
> Dave Tyson <dtyson%anduin.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> > On  Wed, 3 May 2023 15:11:02 Jim Spath <
> > jspath55%gmail.com@localhost>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I installed NetBSD 10 BETA on a Raspberry Pi 3B, which finds a
> > > wifi
> > > driver (bwfm). This has been working fine for me with
> > > dhcpcd/wpa_supplicant for 10+ days of testing,
> > > Apr 14 19:18:43 arm64 dhcpcd[718]: bwfm0: soliciting a DHCP lease
> > >
> > > But a Pi 02W with 10 BETA installed shows no sign of the bwfm
> > > configuration.
> > >
> > > Is there a kernel that would include that driver if it is not in
> > > GENERIC?
> > > If I need to build my own, cross-compiling on a more powerful
> > > system
> > > will be faster; any tips beyond "edit KERNEL file/make
> > > depend/make"?
> > >
> > > Or, if only the Pi *0W* flavor wifi driver works, I'll get on
> > > those
> > > supply waiting lists.
> > >
> > > (I understand the native wifi module is *not* supported currently
> > > on
> > > Pi4 flavors)
> >
> > I have been playing with the rpi zero 2 w on both NetBSD-10 and
> > Current using the NetBSD 64bit arm7 base (The NetBD arm6 kernel
> > doesn't seem work on this system, although the equivalent Linux
> > version does).
> >
> > While I could get the i2c and spi interfaces working I never saw
> > the
> > bwfm wifi detected and so have to use a ral usb wifi dongle.
> >
> > If I booted a 64 bit linux kernel then bwfm was detected and worked
> > and I wondered if it was an issue with the NetBSD dtb (You have to
> > use
> > the NetBSDrpi 3b dtb as there is no specific NetBSD one for the rpi
> > zero 2 w).
> >
> > Out of interest I copied the linux dtb onto the NetBSD sdcard and
> > booted it up. This showed a btfm wifi instance, but it complained
> > about a missing clock and wouldn't work. I am working to try and
> > get
> > around this problem by modifiying the rp1 3b dtb. I am wondering if
> > the attachment point for the wifi interface is slightly different -
> > it
> > must plug into the sdmmc controller (and there are two of
> > these). Sadly the schematics for either board are unobtainable so
> > it
> > may be trial and error.
>
> The dts files in NetBSD are just a snapshot of the Linux ones,
> currently
> from 5.15, we should import a newer snapshot then fix any driver
> breakage.
>
> I have other boards that don't have NetBSD dts files but are
> supported
> in Linux.

Just a note the rpi zero 2 w is 32 bit - I got confused between the
arm7 and aarch64 :-)

I pulled a copy of the what I think is the latest rpi zero 2 w dts
from:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm2837-rpi-zero-2-w.dts

it seems that the wifi stuff has been pushed out into a bcm283x-rpi-
wifi-bt.dtsi file which isn't in the current source tree unless its
been added in the last month. I haven't looked at this area and am not
sure if new dts files added to the
/usr/src/sys/external/gpl2/dts/dist/arch/arm/boot/dts
directory get automagically built into dtb files by build.sh

I'll try and look at this in the next few days - mainly to see if it
fixes the issue (and for my own education!)

Dave