Re: Arm drivers: are device tree descriptions required for every device?

I guess the key question here is the nature of i2c probing, in that once
you have an i2c bus, can the kernel enumerate the devices by address and
for an address determine the type.  This must be true for your no-config
case to work, and I would think that with the line

  bmx280thp* at iic? addr 0x76

it would be ok.  However, it strikes me as irregular to configure an
explicit address with a iic?, in that if you know where it is and want
to hard-wire it fine, but knowing the address and that it's on some
random bus that you don't know which doesn't quite make sense.  Unless
you know where you wired it and you don't know how iic numbering is
going to happen.