Re: Boot images for RPI4s?

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 at 16:04, Joseph Koshy <jkoshy%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> What is a good boot image to use with the newer RPI4 models?
>
> I tried booting an RPI4(8G) model with a recent image from http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/.../evbarm-aarch64/binary/gzimg/arm64.img.
>
> However, the boot loader on the PI refuses to boot from this image, and instead displays the following error:
>
>   0x00d03115 0x00000000 0x00000001
>   start4.elf: is not compatible
>   This board requires newer software
>
> Am I using the wrong boot image for an rPI4?

Have you seen https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/ ? It
mentions Raspberry Pi 4 requires UEFI firmware to boot. I've tested it
like that and it boots just fine with an image for instance from
https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/arm/ (you need 64-bit GENERIC) or from
http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/202304090000Z/images/NetBSD-10.99.2-evbarm-aarch64-install.img.gz

UEFI firmware can be found at https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases
and it's linked and mentioned on the wiki. There is a way of having
the UEFI firmware and the NetBSD image on the same card but I haven't
tried that yet.

--
Regards,
Bartek Krawczyk