Re: 64-bit pi 3 grief

bsd-lists%gromit.dlib.vt.edu@localhost (Paul Mather) writes:

>The above workaround (boot_delay) does not work for me.  I suspect it is =
>delaying boot before the OS is loaded (i.e., at U-Boot).  Unfortunately, =
>it's only when the OS probes for the wedges that the device spins up, =
>which, by then, is too late and I get dropped into the prompt for the =
>root device.

Yes, the boot process doesn't wait. That's usually not a problem if
you boot from the root disk, because it is already spun up. But here
it takes too much time before the drive attaches and is found.

>On FreeBSD/arm I can use the kern.cam.boot_delay setting in =
>/boot/loader.conf to have the OS wait a number of milliseconds for =
>device probing to finish.  That solved the problem of devices slow to =
>spin up.  Is there a similar setting for NetBSD?

Not yet.

If you use U-Boot (RPI normally doesn't), you can probably add an USB access
to the U-Boot script (uenv.txt or similar) that spins up the drive
before loading the kernel.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost