Re: Help improving the installation guide and support hardware lists

On Wed, 27 May 2020 15:40:44 +0000
nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 04:12:41PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > Are you asking for help writing install guide or testing your new
> > install instructions on various hardware?
>
> As I wrote earlier, I'm asking for help filling in missing information
> and querying whether any of the existing install guide is still useful
> to anyone.

Can this also be included on "http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/";
many people look there first rather than in the source tree.

With regard to Uboot, instructions like these would be useful:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2020/05/09/msg006660.html

Would be good to have a brief explanation and a list of which boards
need Uboot and which don't.

To be honest, I'm not sure why Uboot is located in pkgsrc. Maybe it's a
licensing thing, but if not, makes no sense to me. So I build custom
NetBSD evbarm image on Linux, but in order to make it bootable I now
either have to bootstrap pkgsrc and build the package or manually
download and unpack pre-built package. This seems a bit unnecessary.
Why not package Uboot with NetBSD sources and provide a script to build
and install boot blocks, similar to "build.sh iso-image".