Re: NetBSD-9 with BeagleBone Black

On Sat, 9 May 2020 18:48:28 +0100
Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 May 2020 14:06:29 -0300 (ADT)
> Jared McNeill <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 May 2020, Sad Clouds wrote:
> >
> > > Copied the image to SD card:
> > > # dd if=armv7.img of=/dev/sdc bs=1M
> > >
> > > But on boot get the following error:
> > >
> > > U-Boot 2013.04-dirty (Jul 10 2013 - 14:02:53)
> >
> > Stop right there. We've stopped supporting "random vendor U-Boot"s
> > for this board in 9.0. You need to use
> > sysutils/u-boot-beagleboneblack instead, either by replacing the one
> > on your eMMC or removing the one on eMMC and installing it to your SD
> > card.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the above
*is* from the eMMC.

From SC's messages, it seems like the sequence was:
* write image to SD card
* power up BBB (letting it boot from the eMMC's uboot)
* eMMC tried to switch to using uenv.txt on SD card (generating what
  went into the first message in this thread: missing uenv.txt)
* rebooted while holding the drive select button, and got "CCCCCC..."
  (missing sysutils/u-boot-beagleboneblack on the SD card)

Copying the one from the eMMC and installing it to the SD card will
still leave this setup with the unsupported U-Boot 2013.04-dirty that
needs a uenv.txt to finish booting.

> OK, I assumed that armv7.img contained all the necessary boot code for
> it. I'm trying to boot from SD card which contains NetBSD image. There
> is a FAT partition and a NetBSD partition. So are you saying when this
> image is generated by build.sh the boot code is not installed and needs
> to be done manually?

That seems to be the case. (I tried crafting a uenv.txt for the eMMC's
uboot to read, which got NetBSD 9.0 to boot, but ended up with USB not
working.)

> If this is the case, is there any documentation that describes
> exactly how uboot should be installed for NetBSD?

A much older thread went into details about manual install for pre 9.0. Essentially, to make the SD card directly bootable on a BBB, it needs
"u-boot.img" and "MLO" built for a BBB added to the FAT partition. As
Jared noted, the sysutils/u-boot-beagleboneblack package provides these
two files.