Re: No kernel in RockPro64 image

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 21:20:09 +0000 (UTC)
John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:

> > It should have an elf /netbsd in the NetBSD partition.
> > In /EFI/BOOT/ you should only find the *.efi bootloader.
> >
> > This is default setup on all aarch64 machines when we boot via EFI, and
> > the root of the netbsd partition is the default search path for the
> > bootloader.
> >
> > Why do you think you need to interrupt the boot countdown and enter a different
> > kernel name?
>
> I just got a new new image and wrote it to an SD card:
>
> NetBSD-evbarm-aarch64-201902222120Z-rockpro64.img.gz
>
> On boot, I get:
>
> >> NetBSD/evbarm EFI Boot (aarch64), Revision 1.8 (Fri Feb 22 18:17:22 UTC
> 2019) (from NetBSD 8.99.34)
> Press return to boot now, any other key for boot prompt
> booting netbsd - starting in 0 seconds.
> open netbsd: Invalid argument
> boot: netbsd: Invalid argument
> booting netbsd.gz - starting in 0 seconds.
> open netbsd.gz: Invalid argument
> boot: netbsd.gz: Invalid argument
>
> Mounting the SD card in another NetBSD system, I see /netbsd is in
> the root of the filesystem:
>
> netbsd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV),
> statically linked, for NetBSD 8.99.34, not stripped
>
> Going back to the EFI bootloader prompt, entering "boot hd0a:netbsd"
> works. Simply "boot netbsd" does not, nor does allowing it to count down
> itself.

What version of U-boot do you have?
I ran into a similar issue when I wanted to update sysutils/u-boot-rockpro64 in pkgsrc.
Probably it is this change.

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-u-boot/commit/d646df03ace3bd191e24361944ce1c7ef3c8744c

Kind regards,
-Tobias