Re: Failure to build "evbarm" release?

Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> writes:

>> On May 21, 2018, at 8:38 AM, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
>>
>> I do agree that having those functions in libc was a bad idea,
>
> So, if we think having them in libc is a bad idea (I don’t disagree,
> but the MD5 stuff at least has been there for a long time), and if we
> prefer people using the OpenSSL variants, then it seems like a
> palatable solution is to disable installing the man page for the libc
> variant (or perhaps rename it to have a libc_ prefix).  Heck, we can
> even rename the libc variant functions to libc_whatever and export
> alias symbols for the legacy names to keep binary compatibility.

Thinking about minimal fixes, it seems no longer installing Mail is not
a big deal; using it borders on retrocomputing.  I only type Mail out of
habits dating to probably 7th Edition, not realizing that mail has
caught up until this thread.

As for md5/MD5, it seems easy enough to install the libc md5 man page as
libc_md5 and to add a SEE ALSO in the openssl version.  Arguably both
pages would have an pointer to the other becuase this is actually
confusing, not just a fs case issue.

I am guessing that on -current, the openssl man pages have arrived - I
don't find them on my -8 system.

On a RPI3 running slightly old -8, I see md5(3), which describes
functions starting with MD5.  So it seems that th md5(3) man page could
just be removed, with openssl's MD5(3) page having a crossreference to
NetBSD's MD5Init.