Re: RPI: * failed to add service - already in use?

So the SIGILL is fine, good to know.
It's not dumping core, but failing to open an SDL2 window, hence me
running it through gdb:

lvl2:   EmulationStation - v2.0.0-rc1, built Mar  3 2018 - 19:14:54
lvl2:   Creating surface...
lvl0:   Error creating SDL window!
        Could not initialize OpenGL / GLES library
lvl0:   Renderer failed to initialize!
lvl0:   Window failed to initialize!

retroarch uses SDL1.2 and is able to display its menu.
The raspberrypi-userland samples also compile and run well.

All packages were compiled from 2017Q4 on the same build of 8.0_BETA.
gpu_mem=256 but I have tried other values as low as 32.

Very odd... it is a separate defekt to the libcrypto issues outlined above?