Re: Heads up: new SD controller driver for Raspberry Pi in -current

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Jared McNeill wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Harold Gutch wrote:

Oh, does that also apply to the Pi 3 and Zero W then?  I haven't yet
felt the need to overclock any of my Raspberries but it would of
course be good to know any such caveats.  From what I've read,
force_turbo=1 will disable dynamic clocking and make the Raspberry
always run on machdep.cpu.frequency.max (I guess) while force_turbo=0
will allow it to also run at slower speeds (down to frequency.min?).
At least that is how it apparently works in Linux...

I think you're right -- I misunderstood the documentation for how force_turbo=0 applies to the core freq. I'm looking for something I can put in config.txt that will keep core freq at a fixed rate, is applicable to all boards, and doesn't set the warranty bit. Any suggestions?

I checked with the documentation and it jogged my memory: enable_uart=1 is what causes core freq to stay consistent. I added force_turbo=0 (default value anyway) to config.txt as an example for how to increase the core clock speed. As long as enable_uart=1 is set, the core clock will be consistent.

Hope this helps,
Jared