Re: Illegal instruction errors on RPI3 with NetBSD-8

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:52:40PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  I just built and loaded a full release of NetBSD-8 on an RPI3.
> I'm unable to boot into multi-user mode because a number of programs are
> dying with illegal instruction errors, including fsck and ifconfig.  Also,
> the serial console intermittently accepts input.  I'm using the latest
> bootcode.bin file from the build image.  This problem isn't entirely new, I
> was having issues with 7.99.41 back in November of 2016, but I figured it
> was due to the relatively new support of the RPI3 at that time.
> Any idea if this is a software or hardware problem?  The boot output is
> below.

I just installed NetBSD-8 (201707231920Z, downloaded from nyftp) on my
Raspberry Pi 3 and I don't have these issues.  My installation method
was a bit unorthodox, I basically did an "sshramdisk" installation
(see http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/#index2h1 ), but
because this image is only built for earmv6hf (i.e., Pi 1, Zero, and
compute module) I had to create one myself.  As I only had a 7.1 source
tree lying around I built the sshramdisk / installation image from
that but pointed it to a local httpd containing the NetBSD-8 sets - so
I essentially used a 7.1 installer to download and install 8.0 sets.

What commands did you use to build/install?  In particular, did you
use "-a earmv7hf" (not "-a earmv6hf")?

> NetBSD/evbarm (rpi) booting ...
> [...]

My dmesg looks *mostly* similar, I have a few additional lines like:

timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
timecounter: Timecounter "armgtmr0" frequency 19200000 Hz quality 500

genfb0: framebuffer at 0xfd876000, size 1280x720, depth 32, stride 5120

wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
wsdisplay0: screen 1-3 added (default, vt100 emulation)

> uhub0: illegal enable change, port 1

I also see that.

> fsck: /dev/rld0a: Illegal instruction

But not this.  Also, for the record, I am running it fully headless
(installation + use), it actually was connected to a screen only once
when a previous version of my installation image wasn't booting.

  Harold