Odroid heat issue and lock up

I am wondering if anyone else is having the issues I am.

I have also posted on the Odroid support forums to see if they can be of
any help. I doubt this is a NetBSD issue, since I have not seen it in
the mailinglist even once.

The board is a C1+ running NetBSD 7.1. The device is running headless.
The only things connected to the device is a network cable and barrel
jack power source. I have removed the jumper that enables power through
usb. This is supposed to reduce heat and power draw. But I have noticed
no improved stability.

The only way I can achieve stable functionality is when the device is
reduced to one core (cpuctl) and the frequency fixed at 1200Mhz
(sysctl). Otherwise when I complie things like GTKwebkit2.4, it locks
up. I believe it is locking up due to some self preserving mechanism
implemented at the hardware level. It seems to be getting real hot.

I have done nothing to the board itself. And the only time I have read
about people having heat issues, is when the GPU is processing video
under Linux. I could see it being possible that the CPU offloaded some
math processing to the GPU, and that perhaps that was why this board
gets so hot (since NetBSD does not include the GPU blob as far as I
know). But I really doubt this. But the only thing I have to go on, is
that I haven't seen anyone complaining about overheating in these
mailinglists. So it seems prudent to ask.

I used to have the board in the Odroid supplied case. It helps only
minimally to remove the board from the case. It is running outside of
the case all the time right now.

I have the same issue when running seamonkey on the board. The only
difference is that when reduced to one core and 1200Mhz, the board will
eventually get real hot and lock up (remote X11 over telnet). If I have
more than one core enabled, it seems to get real hot and lock up while
just attempting to load any page, even simple javascript free formats.
At the reduced settings the board will function for quite a while. The
exception being youtube. After a couple of youtube pages it will lock
up.

So I'd like to verify that others are not experiencing this. This way I
can hope that replacing the board will solve the problem. But since I
haven't asked, I really don't know.

The device is powered by 5 volts at 2 amps.

Any thoughts?