Re: Status of RPi 3 (b) ?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017, Emilian Bold wrote:
The downside is the RPi is supposed to be about 2x the speed of the RPi2
2x seems a bit much.

Duly noted. Expectations lowered. :->

NetBSD still runs in 32 bit mode so you gain little from the Cortex-A53. Notably the bump from 900MHz to 1.2GHz.

Ah, ha, was that the deal? I knew the clocks got bumped and I sort of got the impression that the hardware with the RPi3 was "ARMv8" and the older ones were "ARMv7hf" (guessing that means they have a hardware math-copro) and IIRC, the original RPi was ARMv6. My limited understanding is that ARMv9 is the first 64-bit instruction set for ARM. I still haven't figured out what ARMv7hfhb means, though (the "hb" part).

Anyhow, no big deal, it's not like I can put more RAM on the board and get all froggy about how it's not supporting it. :-)

The new GPU does run at 400MHz vs 250MHz.

That's pretty nifty if I ever tried to run X11 on one. It sounds like it'd make a heckuva X-Terminal. From what I have read about the VideoCore GPU, it's a bit more open and easier to work with vis-a-vis something like a Radeon or nVidia board. Of course, that's probably just vendor hype.

Considering you have to run current- I would focus on the Pi 2 which does
run a stable 7.x.

Thanks, Emi, I'll take your advice. I'm on the port-arm list, now. So, I'll just lurk until I see folks crowing about RPi3 working mobetta then jump on the bandwagon at that point.

Until then, being a NetBSD-head, I'm happy to use my RPi3 to reproduce, confirm, or double check problems that other folks run into on -current as needed.

-Swift