Re: Status of RPi 3 (b) ?

Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Jan 2017, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>> I'm using NetBSD-current on an RPI3, using the RPI2 images. Everything
>> seems to work except for the wireless and bluetooth modules.
>
> Right on. I was trying a 7.x release, I think. I can't remember. Anyhow,
> I'll just use a -current image and try again. At least now I know it's
> worth trying, so thanks for that.
>
>> The dmesg for this is below. Note that this is -current from the end of
>> November 2016. -Brian
>
> Hmm, well, unless something has been broken between now and then, that
> should be okay. As far as wireless & BT, they are "nice to have". Since
> the RPi3 has 4 USB ports, I can just use one of those if I need Bluetooth
> or Wifi to hork up my privacy.  :-)
>
> -Swift

You will need to use something -currentish.  I mostly run a 7.99.42
kernel with some local mods.

I have 3 RPI3b v1.2 boards.  Two of them will not boot NetBSD 9 out of
10 times.  They will hang between these two lines:

usb0 at dwctwo0: USB revision 2.0
---hangs here---
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0

Raspbian works fine on those boards [at least it does on one of them, I
don't remember if I tried both] and 1 time in 10 NetBSD will get past
that point and run fine.  The third RPI3 board appears to boot NetBSD
just fine, as does my RPI2.  I hope you have one that works out for you.
The two RPI3s that hang were purchased at different times from different
places, but as far as I can tell are all the same board.

Right now the RPI3 runs like a RPI2, more or less, in terms of devices.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]