Using SPI devices from userspace on the RPI, or from anything NetBSD for that matter?

	hello.  I'm working on a project where I think I'll be wanting to talk
to an SPI connected LCD or LED display on an Rasberry Pi.  What I envision
doing with it shouldn't require a kernel level driver given the fact that
we already have the SPI(4) framework.  My question is, how can a user-space
program  read from or write to  a SPI connected peripheral?  I've found the
gpioctl(8) program and gpio( devices for talking to GPIO connected devices,
but I don't see how to speak to SPI connected things.  Can anyone enlighten
me?  I realize I may be asking a very elementary question, but my
documentation searches haven't revealed what I want for NetBSD.  I've found
such documents for Linux, but I'd really like to use NetBSD for this
project.

-thanks
-Brian