Re: ntpdate issue ....

On 04/05/15 09:22, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <5520B1AE.70305%hiwaay.net@localhost>,
William A. Mahaffey III <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> wrote:

Yeah, that's wy I was soft-peddling it in previous posts. Someone else
suggested the custom timezone, I think I will look into that ....
*However*, ntpdate *IS* returning a bad offset from my ISP (I *think*),
someone might wanna look into that ....
I think it is telling you that your machine has a different time than
your isp. If you run it without -q and then again, it should have set
the time, and the offset would be small.

So if you want your clock to appear 5 minutes fast and you are in EST5EDT
(AKA US/Eastern) you can "export TZ=EST4:55EDT" or something.

christos

Correct, my time *is* different than my ISP, & it *should* be, about 375 sec. different :-). If I lose the '-q', I get what I don't want, my computers & my wall clocks being 6m15s apart. The '-q' just retreives the correct time from my ISP, w/o setting the computer clock, so I can then munge it into my desired local LAN time & set that using adjtime. Remember, this is *NOT* a public network, or public machines, they are on my isolated LAN, & I want them to show the same time as my wall clocks.

A few posts back I posted info of that same command from the RPi & the incumbent NTP server, numbers are wildly different, incumbent shows 375-ish sec. difference, which is *CORRECT* for my setup, it is setting my LAN time to '6m15s faster than correct time', as I want it to.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.