Re: Importing Flash and NAND subsystem for NetBSD

On Feb 13, 2011, at 7:30 AM, Adam Hoka wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:23:19 +0100
> Adam Hoka <adam.hoka%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The University of Szeged, Hungary developed a Flash and NAND subsystem for
>> NetBSD, which I would like to import into src. Most of the code was written
>> by me so direct any questions and suggestions to me. A sample driver is
>> provided for OMAP NAND controllers as found in BeagleBoard and DEVKIT8000.
>>
>> Here is the full patch set against NetBSD current:
>>
>>  http://www.netbsd.org/~ahoka/patches/flash_3.diff
>>
>> A file system is also in development, but It's still work in progress,
>> after the inclusion of the Flash driver we will provide code snapshots.
>>
>> I plan to commit this next week if there is no strong argument against it.
>>
>> PS.: Hardware or any other type of contributions would be very much
>> appreciated to extend the number of supported devices.
>

> Updated patch (it was missing one file):
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/~ahoka/patches/flash_4.diff

Why is <dev/flash> exported to userland?  There doesn't
seem to be anything userland needs.

Please get rid of StudlyCaps in hamming.c.
CountBitsInByte should be replaced by __builtin_popcount so that
machines with a popcount instruction can use it.

consider implementing nand_crc16 via a nibble lookup table.
See ether_crc32_le in sys/net/if_ethersubr.c for an example.

Use
struct name {
please (in flashio.h)